WoWPortal PVE Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WoWPortal PVE Server

WoWPortal Custom PVE Server like no other!

Latest imagesportalHomeRegisterLog in
VCN WOW IS NOW ON HTTP://VCNWOW.NET
If you are looking for V.C.N

Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» V.C.N WOW IS NOW ON VCNWOW.NET
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeWed 06 Feb 2019, 4:50 pm by Zanukan

» INTRODUCTION Destiny
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2018, 6:54 pm by Destiny

» 2.4.3 oldfags still here? whats up?
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2018, 10:05 am by Zanukan

» An Thread dedicated to Old School 2.4.3 and all its memories
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2016, 8:56 am by Shifthappens

» Hey sexy Gentlemen and Ladies
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jan 2013, 11:21 am by Suspect2

» yoo
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm by Casp'

» hay gm
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm by sevenhuehuelol

» Ques for GM
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 09 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm by sevenhuehuelol

» YES IT IS I
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jul 2012, 11:21 am by Casp'

» oldfags asemble
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeTue 03 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm by -BoomBox

» Oh hai...
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm by Queshi

» hey windir bro guess what
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm by Queshi

» Downpatch from 3.0.8 to 3.0?
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm by windir2

» Mouthless asking me for RESS! LOOL
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 5:29 pm by Feel

» Need an unstuck
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 2:48 am by ombladon123

» Idea for Arena Rating and Arena Rewards
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 7:58 pm by Raddau

» shammy bug
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 1:35 pm by stomstrikes

» Gentlemen?
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 1:33 pm by stomstrikes

» Rous aka Zanukan attention please
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 3:36 am by ryonis

» I cant get my tokens when i vote.
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009, 1:26 pm by demonolator12345

Who is online?
In total there are 3 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 3 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 395 on Sun 18 May 2008, 12:28 pm
Top posters
ServerBot (7646)
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Vote_lcapHow to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Voting_barHow to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Vote_rcap 
Swifteh (7171)
How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Vote_lcapHow to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Voting_barHow to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Vote_rcap 
Charlie Face (4524)
Lisyhalath (3900)
Scruffay (3896)
kitch (3536)
Min0rity (3192)
Ubberpownage88 (3023)
bacongrease2 (2761)
Juicy (2649)
Keywords
Meatstick MEAT Spotlight

How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.

Go down 
+17
Zerocool
Min0rity
Gavisann
seriousskil1
davidkolenko
stevos007
S.A.S
Royalpimp
vistaxp
Scruffay
Odious
Spotlight
Voxin
Holypeanut
nano1895
pochee
Frosty
21 posters
Go to page : 1, 2  Next
AuthorMessage
Anonymous

How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Empty
PostSubject: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:10 pm

Alright, Heres my own guide, if you dont like walls of text and dont like me, stop reading right now.

I have been playing mages for about a year and a few months, i have learned from alot of good players such as nemefist, wcm.com, and mahiiko from wcm. Im not some random, But im not the best.

The best spec to beat a rogue that is shs, imo, would be 17/0/44, Elemental+Frostshield.

You will need a elemental macro, That summons, and automatically clicks pets nova so its ready to be put to use. /cast [nopet][target=pet, dead] Summon Water Elemental
/click PetActionButton5

Ctrl+C it then Ctrl+V it in your macro.

Alright since we have that lets talk about fighting the rogue itself.

All rogues start with Sap, so when they sap you let them have the sap, never trinket, unless your wiling to be gay with coldsnap.

Now when they open, if its cheapshot, you take it, dont blink, if its garrote run in the opposite direction, Now if cripplings on you, you can blink Or nova, i prefer nova, if you nova, they will shadowstep, then pet nova, pewpew that macro is handy eh, now they have 2 choices, clos or trinket

ALWAYS iceblock when they clos, 4 seconds is more the n enough time to drop you 40-60%
(Smash your fireblast button constantly when its up)
When clos is off you Cone of cold +Rank 1 frostbolt kite, always keeping them away from you.
If they have wasted trinket, You put pet on passive, and sheep,

now look at that, you have 9 seconds to do whatever you want, what you should do is pop frostshield back on, evoc is your low on mana, and then click your spelldmg/haste trinket and frostbolt and scorch,

The reason of scorching is if they shadowstep and kick, your not silenced on frost which would ruin you, most likely they shadowstep+kidneyed, now you blink, and frostbolt if you are far enough, and kite again with CoC+Rank 1 frostbolt.

I advise always saving cone of cone for when their close, 60% is a big increase , you keep rank 1 frostbolt on them and always run in the other direction. Always hit the fireblast button, and try to pay attention to shadowstep, if its up, try not to nova unless you have to nova+no shs=lol shatter

I prefer using grenades with kiting if they use sprint, (which wrathed dosent appreciate).

Now gear setups. You should pick season shoulders, Chest, Gloves, Resil wrist, Resil belt, Resil Boots, and Resil cloak (cloaks found in 2.4 items on the last page)

Now For legs you should pick leggings of calamity, its 48 stamina 41 intilect 72 spell dmg 3 sockets!
And also Grand Magisters staff 266 spell dmg 57 stam 52 inti 3 sockets. For helm anihilator Goggles its very nice damage.

Since resil dosent completely work that well, we go for stamina, for about everything except necklace and wrist, chest and legs and staff, you stack 12 spell dmg, for wrist 10 inti or crit, dosent matter really, for necklace same.

Now for your meta socket, 12 spell dmg/minor speed, its so needed for kiting.

Now the pants, and Staff, you stack pure 15 stamina. Now your going to hit hard as shit and have alot of HP. For chest, you do the same.

For enchants. legs=35 spelldmg/20 stamina, Boots,if your patient enough 9 stam/minor speed,
Wrist spell dmg, chest 6 stats because resil is retarded Razz. Shoulder spell dmg. same with helm, staff you do 40 spell damage, gloves spell dmg. There you go, follow my little guide and you should be making rogues cry soon enough.

Last edited by Tehvurt on Thu 18 Dec 2008, 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Frosty
CIA
CIA
Frosty

Number of posts : 1293

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:15 pm

I DIDN't READ IT AT ALL 10/10!!!
Back to top Go down
pochee
KGB
KGB
pochee

Number of posts : 207

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:26 pm

Nice. cheers
Back to top Go down
nano1895
Noob
Noob

Number of posts : 7

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:28 pm

I agree with your spec 17/0/44. although for a rogue specfically you can just go into more points into frost and even go into fire for impact. although for other classes this would not be recommended.

However when you nova rogues dont neccessarily shadowstep. smart rogues know that its on a 30 cd and wont waste it on a frost nova, especially when u havent blinked yet. they will instead cos. the next nova will be a trinket. how would you address this situation?

i have seen many rogues do this either cos->trinket or trinket->cos.

After the iceblock you say to CoC frank 1 frostbolt kite. (well, you said after cos, but you also said iceblock when cos so the two go hand in hand im assuming) but crippling>CoC which im sure will proc when they are meleeing you after your iceblock ends. this will leave you in their deadly melee range and if you blink they will shs. if you wait for the kidney, it will never come because they know that crippling can hold u for them.

aside from these issues the guide is excellent =D

Last edited by nano1895 on Thu 18 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Holypeanut
CIA
CIA
Holypeanut

Number of posts : 2377

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:29 pm

Vurtne is a nab don't listen to him :O
Back to top Go down
Voxin
Assassin
Assassin
Voxin

Number of posts : 80

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:30 pm

lol,

no.
Back to top Go down
Spotlight
CIA
CIA
Spotlight

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:31 pm

Voxin wrote:
lol,

no.

You're avatar gives me a stiffy

DAMN STRAIGHT

How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Ru0bxy

Last edited by Spotlight on Thu 18 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Odious
CIA
CIA
Odious

Number of posts : 329

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm

Voxin wrote:
lol,

no.

gtfo, wanna-be
Back to top Go down
Frosty
CIA
CIA
Frosty

Number of posts : 1293

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:32 pm

I had a therapist, I just wen't there for free coke and cookies at the expense of my insurance.
Back to top Go down
Scruffay
CIA
CIA
Scruffay

Number of posts : 3896

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:33 pm

Moved
Back to top Go down
http://smouch.net/lol
Odious
CIA
CIA
Odious

Number of posts : 329

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:33 pm

Frosty wrote:
I had a therapist, I just wen't there for free coke and cookies at the expense of my insurance.

¥­¥¥¥
Back to top Go down
Voxin
Assassin
Assassin
Voxin

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:34 pm

Odious wrote:
Voxin wrote:
lol,

no.

gtfo, wanna-be

n who r j00?
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:35 pm

If they trinket Nova after cosing, Fail on their part. Blink if you have too then sheep.

After the iceblock you run the complete opposite direction, if you start this way they are doomed, if you get the coc off them as you turn.

Theres not too many smart rogues counting the shs counter, Anyway if you have too, use grenades its cheap but easy enough to give you a frostbolt or some distance.

The main retail strat is make them waste trinket and cos, when theyve done that, you just need some distance(which blink comes in handy with) and sheep, gives you time to evoci and hit up your spelldmg trinket/iceyveins and start frostbolting, if youve wasted nova about 10 seconds, kep sheeping till you only have 3 seconds on sheep, then frostbolt and scorch, this will give you time to get frostnova off cd.
Back to top Go down
Spotlight
CIA
CIA
Spotlight

Number of posts : 1862

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:37 pm

Voxin wrote:
Odious wrote:
Voxin wrote:
lol,

no.

gtfo, wanna-be

n who r j00?

Windir > you
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:37 pm

If you dont agree with me, ide be glad to hear how you would kite a smart rogue, explain instead of just saying im bad.

thanks ^^
Back to top Go down
vistaxp
Begginer
Begginer
vistaxp

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:38 pm

Nice guide, I never knew the bit about Rank 1 Frostbolt. It should help mages beat the most OP class and also maybe help bad rogues beat mages (lol). I'm going to start using that pet macro now.

However, what if a Rogue does not follow the actions exactly as you have described them? You said that once you Nova after Garrote, the rogue will ShS, but IMO most rogues will CloS. You say to Block then, so if the rogue doesn't want to abuse the combat bug, they will either vanish asap or continue attacking you in Block. What then?

Let's say either of those things happened and the rogue is now on you. You will summon your pet and freeze him, which he will trinket. If you don't have crip on you, then you can kite, causing the rogue to sprint.

However, if you ARE crippled, your options are to Cold Snap (eww), nade, or recast your shields. Out of experience I know that nades are unreliable, especially in lag, and what if the rogue shadowsteps when he sees you are casting it? So then you are taking a ton of damage, you can blink only if his ShS is down, but he can always sprint + KS if you blink. You trinket the KS but by now the rogue is sprinting and you are out of options, unless you proc Frostbite or somehow your Nova is up again before you die.

Last edited by vistaxp on Thu 18 Dec 2008, 9:52 pm; edited 1 time in total
Back to top Go down
Holypeanut
CIA
CIA
Holypeanut

Number of posts : 2377

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:40 pm

downranking was nerfed in wrath so I wouldn't become very dependant on it if you play retail
Back to top Go down
Voxin
Assassin
Assassin
Voxin

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:44 pm

[quote="Tehvurt"]
Tehvurt wrote:
ALWAYS iceblock when they clos, 4 seconds is more the n enough time to drop you 40-60%

o_O is that for kidney shot? if it is use blink.
but if the rogue vanishes and stuns again, ice block on kidney unless your almost dead.
if thats what your tryin to say >.>
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:45 pm

What you do iswait until they are ABOUT to hit you then ib so cos is almost over, this keeps crippling off you, and then if they vanish a good binded rank1 aoe and iceblock dismiss will destealth them and if they are hitting you? if you just coc and run in the other direction usually i avoid crippling that way, the dangerous part of that is if they sprint though =/

If he sprints, you canblink away, and sheep.

If you are crippled . Welcome to hell, lol im jk, what you do is nova, If its up, trust me ittl be up sooner r then you think

Try jims pulsecooldowms at curse.com, good addon, ittl tell you when novas up etc, but yeah that could be a problem. One solution to keep them at bay for another second or two, sheep, then icelance, they might get healed 1k but its good if it keeps them off you longer. try not to do that though.
Back to top Go down
Voxin
Assassin
Assassin
Voxin

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:45 pm

Holypeanut wrote:
downranking was nerfed in wrath so I wouldn't become very dependant on it if you play retail

Lol, i remember the days b4 BC where u can kite kill a warrior with rank 1 frostbolt

good ol days ;D
Back to top Go down
nano1895
Noob
Noob

yea ^^ that was kinda my point as well.

when i duel mages. i click hemo every 1.5-2 seconds even tho the gcd is 1 second because im waiting for the novas. the list is like this:

1st nova--> cos, get back on the mage
2nd nova-->trinket, get back on the mage

any time they iceblock i wait, when they are out., they will probably frost nova again. i time my 5cp kidney shot as soon as they do that. mages will proobably blink this beause 5 seconds of kidney without or without barrier will cut their chances of winning to 0, when they do this, i shadowstep, and its ~10 free seconds of damage.

Edit: lol i type slow, the ^^ was referring to vista's post.

Edit2: now that i think about it, they could trinket the 5cp kidney, but i think most of the mages i had dueled used their trinket on something earlier. I guess its all on how well you kite when u catch that rogue with a nova without trinket/clos. ive seen rogues (whove been caught in that third nova) use blind...then get back to the mage lol, meh. I think a really good rogue vs a really good mage requires CD's usage on both sides.
Back to top Go down
Anonymous

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:53 pm

What i forgot to say lol, is try toiceblock right when theyre about to hit you so cos has een active for a second or two or more, that way you can dismiss, ill make amacro and post it later, and rank 1 aoe and fuck their stealthing plan Razz

Anyway, save blink mostly for kidney ittl be up fast trust me, but try towatch out for if they used evis lately, if they did, and they are on you, fuck it blink, if shs is about up dont worry, a 2 second kidney prolly wont fux u, and never trinket on kidney unless they already wasted blind, if they did LOOOL PRO ROGUE BLINDS GARROTED MAGE LOOOOL.
Back to top Go down
nano1895
Noob
Noob

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:55 pm

Ok heh that sounds good. maybe ill just duel you in game and we'll see how it goes =P
Back to top Go down
vistaxp
Begginer
Begginer
vistaxp

Number of posts : 10

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeThu 18 Dec 2008, 9:56 pm

Hmmm, I think it all ends with the RNG determining the winner, with crip and frostbite procs, with the rogue having a better chance.
Back to top Go down
Royalpimp
Sentino
Sentino
Royalpimp

Number of posts : 43

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitimeWed 07 Jan 2009, 4:39 pm

Not a bad guide but pretty limited , first of all most rogues always COS or Shadowstep when in nova , their hemo hits for a hell and you can't do anything while garroted so they can bring you to low health fast just like that if the rogue is Pve geared with glaives . Also I've had times when rogues would get 50% of my hp when in cheapshot , other times when I use blink on cs , they shadowstep on me and kidney shot . I could iceblock but then his/her poisons would fuck me , I could trinket but then their blind would be a bit impossible to get rid of .
Anyway a good rogue on privates can be very very hard as any spec to beat , if not impossible , even bad rogues can be a pain with their failglaives , nice try of a guide but honestly a rogue even with their limited number of abilities can use them in other orders then you enumerated and if used right can beat any clothie -.- Razz
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.   How to beat a Rogue As a Mage. Icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

How to beat a Rogue As a Mage.
Page 1 of 2Go to page : 1, 2  Next