WoWPortal PVE Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

WoWPortal PVE Server

WoWPortal Custom PVE Server like no other!

Latest imagesportalHomeRegisterLog in
VCN WOW IS NOW ON HTTP://VCNWOW.NET
If you are looking for V.C.N

Similar topics
Username:
Password:
:: I forgot my password
Latest topics
» V.C.N WOW IS NOW ON VCNWOW.NET
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeWed 06 Feb 2019, 4:50 pm by Zanukan

» INTRODUCTION Destiny
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2018, 6:54 pm by Destiny

» 2.4.3 oldfags still here? whats up?
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 18 Oct 2018, 10:05 am by Zanukan

» An Thread dedicated to Old School 2.4.3 and all its memories
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeSat 19 Mar 2016, 8:56 am by Shifthappens

» Hey sexy Gentlemen and Ladies
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 24 Jan 2013, 11:21 am by Suspect2

» yoo
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 13 Aug 2012, 1:34 pm by Casp'

» hay gm
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 09 Aug 2012, 11:47 pm by sevenhuehuelol

» Ques for GM
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 09 Aug 2012, 11:43 pm by sevenhuehuelol

» YES IT IS I
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 30 Jul 2012, 11:21 am by Casp'

» oldfags asemble
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeTue 03 Jul 2012, 3:19 pm by -BoomBox

» Oh hai...
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm by Queshi

» hey windir bro guess what
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeTue 19 Jun 2012, 3:55 pm by Queshi

» Downpatch from 3.0.8 to 3.0?
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 20 Jun 2011, 12:54 pm by windir2

» Mouthless asking me for RESS! LOOL
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeThu 26 May 2011, 5:29 pm by Feel

» Need an unstuck
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeTue 24 Nov 2009, 2:48 am by ombladon123

» Idea for Arena Rating and Arena Rewards
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 7:58 pm by Raddau

» shammy bug
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 1:35 pm by stomstrikes

» Gentlemen?
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 1:33 pm by stomstrikes

» Rous aka Zanukan attention please
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeMon 23 Nov 2009, 3:36 am by ryonis

» I cant get my tokens when i vote.
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeSun 22 Nov 2009, 1:26 pm by demonolator12345

Who is online?
In total there are 2 users online :: 0 Registered, 0 Hidden and 2 Guests

None

Most users ever online was 395 on Sun 18 May 2008, 12:28 pm
Top posters
ServerBot (7646)
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Vote_lcap[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Voting_bar[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Vote_rcap 
Swifteh (7171)
[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Vote_lcap[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Voting_bar[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Vote_rcap 
Charlie Face (4524)
Lisyhalath (3900)
Scruffay (3896)
kitch (3536)
Min0rity (3192)
Ubberpownage88 (3023)
bacongrease2 (2761)
Juicy (2649)
Keywords
Spotlight MEAT Meatstick

[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman

Go down 
AuthorMessage
zenith
Assassin
Assassin
zenith

Number of posts : 94

[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Empty
PostSubject: [Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman   [Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman Icon_minitimeTue 20 Jan 2009, 8:04 pm

All right guys, so you want to learn how to optimize your enhancement shaman's damage, or hone your strategy? Maybe you have no idea what an enhancement shaman really does, but you just got your squishy face windfuried? It's all right here. I will be posting this guide in chunks, as I don't want to type and research for hotlinks for hours on end. This is made for 3.0.3 ENHANCEMENT shamans. Do not ask me for tips about elemental or resto!

Class Overview
"Shaman are the spiritual leaders of their tribes and clans. They are masters of the elements, using spells and totems that heal or enhance their allies in battle while unleashing the fury of the elements upon their foes. Shamans can wear medium armor, and even wield massive two-handed weapons in combat. They are a versatile class that can wade into battle, restoring their allies while hurling elemental bolts of lightning at their enemies.

The old phrase "jack of all trades, master of none" is an excellent way to describe the Shaman; they are the only real "hybrid" class in World of Warcraft. While they do not excel at any one aspect of their repertoire, they function passing well when performing most tasks called upon by a party. Need a support healer? Looking for a secondary tank? After another damage-dealer? Have an empty slot that needs someone to support the group in general? The Shaman can provide. They have a number of utility spells as well that help make life easier for any party."
-Worldofwarcraft.com

I find the "official" Shaman description fairly adequate. Shamans are indeed hybrids, perhaps one of the most extensive hybrids in WoW. Since you are looking to be (or maybe fight) Enhancement shamans, we will focus on our melee. However, due to our lovely talent tree, we have the ability to provide light off-healing and magical DPS. We wear mail armor, though remember you can also wear leather if you feel the stats are better. We can use maces and axes (both 2h available), staves, daggers, fist weapons, and shields, as well as filling our Relic slot with Totems (not to be confused with items like Earth Totem or abilities such as Earthbind Totem). I think "Jack of all trades, master of none" is somewhat incorrect. As enhancement shamans, we are generally excellent at melee dps (especially burst damage), and not so great at casting, though enough to usually suffice in a pinch. However, get this through your head, people: Shamans should not be tanking any instance appropriate to their gear, ever. Don't even think about it.
Looking more in-depth at PvP ability, I have found that (with working totems =/) we have acceptable anti-kiting ability, fairly good interrupt capabilities, good mobility through Ghost Wolf, and excellent burst damage. Played correctly, we're a pretty tough class.

Gearing[/u]

I won't go through all my gear item by item, however, I strongly recommend using Tier 7 and non pvp gear, especially AP and agility. (Unlike TBC, Strength now gives ap on a 1:1 basis, not 2:1) Why, you ask? Well, by using PvP gear I gain about 4000 hp - quite a lot. I also get over 700 resilience, which at the time I am posting, might not be working correctly. However, by using pve gear, I double my Attack Power, as well as gaining some dodge, armor and keeping about the same crit. I subscribe to the saying, "The best defense is a good offense", and considering the burst potential of the shaman, I find this to be very true. However, due to our hybrid-ness and talents, we are not so squishy after all, as you will see later on.
Should I dual wield or use a two-hand?
Quite an often-asked question by new shamans. My opinion, as well as that of most others, is that you should always use a twohand unless you feel you have a chance to really whale on a clothie or leather wearer and are feeling lucky. There are several reasons for this:
-Faster attack speeds (ever died a second from swinging that hammer that would have scored the kill?)
-More Stormstrike damage.
-Use of Lava Lash.
-Windfury proc chance.

Hold on - Windfury proc chance is affected by dual wield? How much?

Ding ding ding! The true basis of why you should dual wield! You'll see. Read on.

Windfury Theorycrap
If you want the short version: Windfury can proc every 3 seconds, and has a 20% base chance with one weapon. It has approximately 36% chance with dual wield. (!!) Now, if you want a long explanation for the mechanics of Windfury (I am not aware of any significant changes to these values, besides the fact that Windfury totem provides melee haste, not Windfury weapon to party members), here you go: Elitist Jerks - Windfury Mechanics.
For those too lazy to read that: Windfury is better with [i]TWO SLOW WEAPONS
. End of story, the numbers are there!

Windfury vs. Flametongue on Offhand
There has been a lot of controversy over this. Personally, I prefer Windfury over Flametongue on offhands (Flametongue gives a bonus to Lava Lash damage). Lava lash is a very nice skill, and essential in our combos, but is simply not comparable to the chance of proccing Windfury (again, 16% increase! Wow!!). True, your offhand can "steal" windfuries, but pvp is about burst damage, not raid damage over a period of 10 or more minutes on one opponent.

Talent Build
Remember, later readers, these are also based on what abilities do/do not work correctly. Gimme some slack.
This is my optimal talent build: Enhancement 16/55/0
It combines acceptable mana efficiency, all the important working talents, high burst potential through Elemental Fury and all the enhancement goodies, like Flurry. At this time, Feral Spirit doesn't work. It just feels wrong not to take it anyway, and all I'd put the point in is an extra for Toughness.

Tactical Tips
Dah dah daaaahhhh!!! Yes, the part you've all been waiting for. Read on.

Anti-Kiting
Annoyed by the damn mage who seems to just kite and kite and you never get close? Here are some tips:
-Frost shock arcane mages, earth shock frost/fire. Arcane relies on instants, so ES won't do much good.
-Grounding totem!! Use it early and often. I like to ground if the mage starts to cast if I am frost shocking. <3!
-Insta ghost wolf is a must. If you are not using abilities, you need to be in ghost wolf.
-Purge a mage's ice barrer! This thing will break and freeze you once you hit it. No need to gimp yourself.
-Remember Shamanistic Rage. If you are getting pounded, pop it. Bam, 30% less damage taken, just like that.
-Most fire mages will start to cast once they Dragon Breath you. Always always always trink out of DB and shock their cast, then lay an EB totem (Earthbind).
-Almost every mage will start casting after a blink. Great time to go ghost wolf until their cast is about 80% done, then shock it. Bam.
-Maelstrom Weapon is so great. Use it for a quick heal, or an instant chain lightning if the mage is very low on health. I hotkey my Healing Wave.

Paladins
-Frankly, if its holy or uses SoC/SoV, you probably aren't going to win. I personally don't fight SoV/SoC users, ever.
-A smart ret paladin will repentance, then heal up. Save your trinket for the repentance and shock, Lay your grounding totem at the beginning of the fight. Most will first stun, then judge for extra damage on the Judgement.
-Maelstrom weapon is your friend here, use it to heal as soon as you can. Paladins have way too much burst and armor Q_Q
-If he bubbles, just GW - > run.
-I would pop Shamanistic Rage right at the start of the duel, when he will be bursting you the most.
-Always always always purge Hands and Avenging Wrath. You don't need to take 20% more damage.

General Tips
-If you are being stunlocked, spam your Shamanistic Rage button like there's no tomorrow. It will save you a lot of pain.
-Always run behind any rogue (and any other class if you can) to Stormstrike and Lava Lash.
-Flame shock rogues and lay an Earthbind Totem.
-Lay poison and disease cleansing totems when appropriate.
-Against glass cannons, like rogues and mages, you really only need to stay alive long enough to get a couple of Windfuries. Don't switch to S5 though - you will lose too much damage to be as effective.

Legal Crap
This guide is produced by me and may not be distributed without giving me credit, blah blah blah, and I would prefer it if you ask me first. Contact me on VCN forums or at alex.bradley1@gmail.com.
Back to top Go down

[Extensive tips] Learn to play Enhancement Shaman
Page 1 of 1